!!

To all Guests

Register for an account on the Irish Weather Network and join the ever growing community of weather enthusiasts.

Collapse column Collapse column

Personal Menu -

Hi, Guest

Users online -

24 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 39.
Most Online Ever: 588 (October 11, 2011, 14:18:38 )

Author Topic: Donegal Postman  (Read 8615 times)

Offline MalcolmPH

• Cirrus
  • Referrals: 0
Donegal Postman
« on: August 20, 2011, 09:45:07 »
he may not be the most precise forecaster we have known ??? but he has a book out on traditional weather signs.

some of the quotes from his book that i am looking forward to seeing are

Robin
"The robin flies near the house and into the barn when snow is forthcoming but when she flies in on the open kitchen half door a heavy fall of snow is fast approaching"

Badger
"In Autumn when a badger is seen making his sett and leaves and branches are strewn at its opening, an early winter is to be expected"

Fox
"On Winter evenings when the fox is heard crying in the distance a heavy fall of snow is forthcoming"

Storm
" When the seagull comes ashore or the curlew is heard screeching at night, are all signs of a storm on its way"

White Christmas
" If snow comes around the end of november or beginning of December then chances are not good for a white christmas"

White Clouds
"In Winter white clouds indicated that snow was on the way"

Loccation: Ballybofey, Donegal

Offline Black briar

• Cirrostratus
    • Arklow weather
Re: Donegal Postman
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 14:53:57 »
White Christmas
" If snow comes around the end of November or beginning of December then chances are not good for a white christmas"

Well that one was heartily disproved in November/December 2010...

Offline LaoisWeather

• Site Moderator
  • Cumulonimbus
  • Don't just talk about the Weather, Measure it!
    • South Laois County Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 16:04:34 »
When the van on the road is green and a man on the path is dressed in blue, and in your front porch he's seen, it's surely a bill or two for you!  ;D
If it doesn't rain between the showers, it'll be fine.
http://www.laoisweather.com

Met Éireann Climate Station 472.

Offline kippure

• Cirrus Intortus
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 17:36:52 »
Whats he saying for this winter? Does anybody know?

LET THERE BE SNOW!

Offline T9

• Staff Member
  • Altocumulus Mackerel
  • The Human Storm Shield
    • Kildare Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:36:59 »

The fame got to him and his life spiralled out of control. He upped sticks and moved to london to escape the harsh Irish winters. Things were going well for him until he got caught up in the London riots recently.

His livelyhood was destroyed and his beloved cat Jess was stolen and sold on for a small fee.He is now planning on coming home to Donegal as the weather is not as dangerous as Londoners...

Here is the evidence..  ;D ;D

Offline Pad

• Cumulonimbus
    • Naas Weather Naas Co Kildare
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 11:05:58 »
LOL!!!!!

Offline MalcolmPH

• Cirrus
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 11:09:32 »
i thought that would generate a laugh or two  ;D ;D

you want to see some of the other rubbish  :-X
Loccation: Ballybofey, Donegal

Offline Indycat

• Referrals: 2
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 11:54:47 »

From yesterday's 'Donegal Daily'
http://www.donegaldaily.com/2011/10/19/michael-puts-the-freeze-on-a-white-winter-and-arctic-like-conditions/

MICHAEL PUTS THE ‘FREEZE’ ON A WHITE WINTER AND ARCTIC-LIKE CONDITIONS
October 19, 2011

Ireland’s most famous amateur weatherman has said there is 'SNOW WAY' Donegal is going to be plunged into artic-like conditions this winter.

Postman Michael Gallagher has successfully predicted snowfalls for the last number of years from his base in the hills of Donegal.

But Michael, from Glenfin, says he simply can’t understand why everyone is saying the country is going to be covered in snow and freezing conditions for months on end.

“I simply don’t know where these forecasts are coming form. I can see no signs of it.

“We might have a little snow but I don’t think it’s going to be as bad as the past couple of years.

“I can see us getting plenty of rain and frost but I can’t see the huge falls of snow and freezing temperatures which everyone seems to be predicting,” he said.

Michael, who famously forced bookmaker Paddy Power to pay out €70,000 in early bets after predicting a white Christmas two years ago, says there will be plenty of storms.

Only recently he was approached by a customer while doing his rounds who had found a frog behind a flowerpot.

“When we lifted the flowerpot the frog just wouldn’t move. I just knew that was a bad sign.

“A couple of days later we had those bad storms. The frog knew it was going to be bad and didn’t plan on moving anywhere,” said Michael.

Stats -

Total Members: 732
Total Posts: 99387
Total Topics: 3509
Total Categories: 9
Total Boards: 66

Support -

Thanks.

Top Posters -

Karl
Damo
Pad